Sunday, September 18, 2011

Asparagus, Leek, Potato & Blue Vein Cheese Soup























We're back up in Clare for the weekend as Jared has another assignment due and needs the tranquility of mum and dad's study.  It also keeps me from bothering him out of boredom because I have mum, dad and nana to catch up with.

I had a few bunches of asparagus to use and Jared suggested I turn it into soup.  Immediately I started trawling through google looking for different asparagus soup recipes and Jared kept saying to me; "Just put asparagus, potato, leek, lots of garlic, white wine, stock and some blue vein cheese in it!  You don't need a recipe!"  I decided to go against all my cooking fears (I'm a stickler for a recipe) and do as I was told.  And it was so delicious and creamy and bursting with flavour.  I was very proud of my non recipe efforts!

25g butter
1 tbsp Warrick Grove Olive Oil
2 bunches asparagus, ends trimmed
1 leek, roughly sliced
3 potatoes, peeled and quartered
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 cup white wine
2 cups chicken stock
2 cups boiling water with 2 heaped teaspoons vegeta chicken stock dissolved
100g blue vein cheese
Pepper

Melt the butter in a large saucepan with the oil.  When it begins bubbling add the leek and garlic over a low to medium heat.  Fry off gently for 5 minutes and add the asparagus.  Turn the heat up to medium and add the asparagus.  Fry off for another 5 minutes and add the white wine.  Cook the booze off and add the stock and boiling vegeta water.  Add the potatoes and some pepper and cover. Simmer for an hour.  When ready to serve crumble the blue vein into the soup and stir to mix once it melts.  Blitz the soup with a bamix to a creamy cosistency.  Serve with sour cream and parsley.  (Although Jared says it absolutely does not need the sour cream.

E.

3 comments:

  1. You've created your own recipe! Sounds (and looks) delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love potato and leek soup, so I will give this a try. Do you think there's an alternative to the blue vein cheese? Not a fan of it. Glad your recipe came out well. Keep the recipes coming. Rochelle. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could go with feta? It probably doesn't need it at all really. Just as is.

    ReplyDelete