Monday, April 25, 2011

Anzac Biscuits























And so we are married!  23 days ago we were married in a small catholic chapel in Blackwood followed by a beautiful reception at the Belair Park Country Club.  Everything went to plan and every guest had an amazing time.  It was by far the most full on day of my life.  I did my best to take it all in.  The only time I felt completely relaxed was when Jared was next to me or talking to me, dancing with me or smiling at me. He made it the most wonderful day of my life.

Four days after the wedding Jared flew off to the USA and Canada for a two week work conference trip.  I really missed him but it was almost nice to have some time to myself to decompress and sleep.  The busyness of the time leading up to the wedding had wiped me out.  Plus we plan a proper honeymoon to Cairns in July.

He's home now and we've had 7 days off work together and it has been really lovely. We've been to Meadows for an Easter Fair, McLaren Vale for some camping, spent time in the garden, had a big bush walk, snuggled watching dvds in bed and cooked some fancy meals together over stunning bottles of wine.  Life is good!  Fantastic in fact!

And today is Anzac Day  - so what better thing to cook but Anzac Biscuits.  I cooked them using a recipe that won First Prize for Caitlin Fulton in a bake off in Penola.  As it's a public holiday I couldnt go to the shops for extra ingredients so I cooked using Ghee instead of butter and I used dark brown sugar instead of plain brown sugar.  The result - rich, moist, gooey anzac biscuits with loads of crunch around the edge.  Perfection.  Anzac Biscuits always remind me of my nana and I think most Australian kids would say the same.

1 cup rolled oats
1 cup plain flour
1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup shredded coconut
125g Ghee
2 tablespoons golden syrup
1 tablespoon water
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda

Preheat oven to 160 degrees or 140 if fan forced.  Grease oven trays, line with baking paper.

Combine oats, sifted flour, sugar and coconut in a large bowl.  Combine butter, syrup and water in a small saucepan, stir over low heat until smooth; stir in soda.  Stir into dry ingredients.

Roll level teaspoons of mixture into balls; place about 5cm apart on trays.  Flatten slightly.  Bake for 20 minutes, cool on trays.  Makes 25 biscuits.

E.

12 comments:

  1. Many congratulations to both of you. How exciting.
    I wish you many years of happiness!
    The cookies look great. I don't think I had anzac biscuits before, but looking at the list of ingredients, I know I will love these.
    And happy Easter to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on this new chapter in your lives. Here's to time off, traditional biscuits and many more happy occasions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting cookie. I'm happy to have a new recipe.

    Congratulations on your marriage. I wish you much happiness and good cooking!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats for being married!
    I've never had an Anzac biscuit but I imagine it to be good with all those great ingredients! Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg congratulations you guys! :) u guys sure are one good lookin couple!

    ReplyDelete
  6. congratulations! marriage is wonderful. these biscuits look great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats and all the very best!

    Those are delicious looking cookies. Mmmhhh!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad I found your post in time to say Congratulations on your wedding! :)

    Currently looking up Anzac day...Oh yes! I read about it in the newspaper here in NYC. :)

    The biscuits look yummy!

    Thanks for the nice comment on my Taste 10, Looks 3 post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! A work trip after a wedding must suck though :( Oh well, sounds like you've been having an awesome time anyway :D These Anzac biscuits look delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! All the best on your new life together! And I've always wanted to make Anzac biscuits, but never have. They look tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on the start of your marriage! Sounds like you're having a great time together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats with your chapter of life.

    I'm curious to see the difference in the texture of these cookies with the use of Ghee. They sure look very delicious.

    ReplyDelete