Sunday, January 23, 2011

Stephanie Alexander Potato Salad















Well, the summer holidays are over but summer certainly isn't.  We've just had a month off and it was incredible.  We ate, BBQ'd, napped, socialized, swam and generally relaxed all day, every day.  I've never had that much time off and it was just what the doctor ordered.  I also planned the wedding in that time.  Pretty much everything is done!  I even have two wedding dresses because I went off the first one.  All that needs to be done now is shoes for the bridesmaids, shoes for me and a big diet! 

So this post isn't overly diet friendly but yummy none the less.  It's 33 degrees and Jared and I are lazing by the pool.  We've decided to have a BBQ for dinner and I've made potato salad from my Stephanie Alexander cookbook.  From preliminary taste tests, its a winner!  The vinegar gives it a lovely zing but the mustards and sour cream make it smooth and moreish. And then the crispy bacon - oh yum! There's a good chance this will become my go to potato salad recipe.  Very easy!

500g waxy potatoes

125g bacon, diced
2 tablespoons sour cream
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons seed mustard
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Pinch salt and black pepper
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives


Peel and boil potatoes until tender, then chop into cubes.  Fry bacon until crisp, and retain bacon fat. Combine sour cream, mustards, vinegar and salt, then tip into bacon pan. Mix, and pour over potatoes. Mix in, scatter with chives and season with cracked black pepper.


E.

3 comments:

  1. This potato salad looks extremely comforting and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we had some Potato Salad weather here, because this sounds delicious.

    Two wedding dresses - wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see why this would be your go to recipe- it's so simple, but it looks really really yummy!

    ReplyDelete