Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Cookies & Cream Slice


















I was searching online for inspiration for something to bake on the weekend and as usual found it at Taste.  I find that anything that is Cookies and Cream flavoured is generally a winner in my book so I started reading this recipe.  Underneath the recipe were 36 comments from other baking enthusiasts who said this slice is nothing short of amazing.  Everyone said it was rich, but also that it's a complete winner.  So I just had to make it.   The slice is very simple to make and turned out perfectly.

As the comments had said it is a very rich slice.  One piece is more than enough.  If you don't stop at one piece then you will start to feel sick; but having said that - I couldn't help but eat three slices in one sitting.  I brought the lot to work so my co-workers could try it and everyone was amazed at how beautiful the slice was.  They didn't last long at all.

I gave six slices to my Personal Food Critic, Richard.  He sent me an email asking if the slice should be eaten with a cup of tea or a hot chocolate.  I told him I prefer a big glass of ice cold milk.  He then sent back this below FABULOUS review which I think says it all....

In hindsight there was no need to ask what drink would be most relevant. I picked it up and never put it down. Two men saw the slice and asked to try some. I took the liberty of cutting the pieces in half so I only lost a total of one piece (I'd done this before they asked). After eating the slice one man offered to marry me, and the other, in a more manly way, asked me who he had to kill to get the recipe (not much more manly I grant you).


As you predicted it is clearly the type of slice you could continue to eat until it made you feel unwell. It has taken all the will power at my disposal, and the common sense to make a contract with myself prior to starting it, to limit my consumption.

My immediate response was of the seven deadly sins, and in-particular gluttony, but not only. One of the men has been back to my office three times since I started this (make that four). He refuses to accept it was a slice and insists on calling it a cheese cake. I'll direct him to the web site.

Back to my write up. 'Rich and naughty, with the bonus of leaving you not caring about the guilt. If this slice doesn't excite you then get therapy!' Simply stunning. 'It's tough to be consistently brilliant, however you seem to find a way.' The rest of the week is looking good from where I sit, although it would be better if I had a clear view to the fridge, just to keep an eye on things.

E.


450g Oreo biscuits

150g unsalted butter, melted
2 tsp powdered gelatine
400g cream cheese
300ml thickened cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
200g white chocolate, melted, cooled slightly
Melted dark chocolate, to drizzle

Line a 4cm-deep, 18 x 25cm lamington pan with baking paper. 


Place 350g of the biscuits in a food processor and process into fine crumbs. Add the butter, process to combine, then press the mixture into the base of the pan. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.

Sprinkle the gelatine over 1/4 cup (60ml) cold water in a heatproof cup. Place the cup in a pan of gently simmering water and stir the gelatine to dissolve.

Place the cream cheese, cream, vanilla and caster sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer, and beat until smooth. Stir in the gelatine mixture and melted white chocolate.

Roughly chop the remaining biscuits and stir through, then pour the cream cheese mixture over the chilled base.

Cover with plastic wrap and return to the fridge to set overnight.

Drizzle with the melted dark chocolate just before serving, then slice in the pan.

7 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous dessert. No wonder everyone loved it. Milk sounds like the perfect drink with it. I know it would please my husband because he adores Oreo cookies.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. It's very nice to meet you both.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my. What's not to like?? Oreos and cream... we love desserts like this around here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cookies and creme is one of my favorites! This looks divine :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm...anything cookies and cream is definitely a winner in my books too! Gosh this looks delicious! I might have to try this out some time too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds incredible. Question: when you write "thickened cream," what does that mean? Is it like creme fraiche, or is it cream that's been whipped? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In Australia the cream we buy in tubs for pouring on apple pie etc is called Thickened Cream. It's not actually that thick. It's pouring cream really. So standard cream should be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Scrumptious! Oreos and cream are one of my favorites. My kids would love this too!

    ReplyDelete