Sunday, September 19, 2010

Apple and Coconut Friands



















It's been six weeks since we moved into our new amazing home and the excitement ha died down at all. We spend so much time talking about all the things we love about our new home and things that we discover and what we'd like to add to it and ways to decorate.  Jared has found a new passion for gardening and has spent most weekends out the front planting native trees or at the nursery buying big pots and fertilizers. 
I, on the other hand, love being inside; and I've headed back to the kitchen in a big way.

We've had guests non stop since we moved in as everyone has wanted to check out the new pad, but now we've fallen back into our homely weekend routine and Jared has gone back to playing golf every Sunday.  So today I baked Apple and Coconut Friands and I'm in the middle of preparing meatballs for dinner. 

The friands were so easy to make.  I've always loved apple in cakes.  I used to have a recipe when I was in early highschool for an apple cake where I'd put tinned apple through the centre of a basic cake mix, then the icing was a simple mixture of milk and icing sugar.  I lost the recipe unfortunatley but these friands bring back those memories in a big way.  The flavour is so simple and delicate but so lovely and comforting.  I'll be taking them all to work to give away however, as I'm going to Sydney for a weeding next weekend and I must fit into my dress.  I'll definitely be making these again!

Post Script - Since baking these and delivering them to work and to my regular food critic Richard - I now have the below review to post:

Wow, I forget what those cakes things are called, but I'm not going to forget how they taste. Best of all I'm eating guilt free today because I've been to the gym. How many of them did Jared eat after the meatballs? They are deceptively small, but could stack up very quickly if you didn't have your wits about you. The coconut cake flavour was a great follow up to the meatballs. I'm now officially ready for a sleep.




125g butter, softened
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 cup plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons milk
3/4 cup moist flaked coconut
1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups icing sugar mixture, sifted

Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease a 12-hole, 1/2 cup-capacity oval friand pan.

Using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition. Sift flour and baking powder over mixture. Add milk and 1/2 cup coconut. Stir to combine. Fold through apple.

Spoon mixture into friand holes until half full. Smooth tops. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre of 1 cake comes out clean. Stand in pan for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.

Meanwhile, place icing sugar and remaining vanilla in a bowl. Add 2 tablespoons hot water. Stir until smooth. Spoon over cakes. Top with remaining coconut. Set aside until set. Serve.

E.

4 comments:

  1. As soon as I saw these friands, there's only one word coming to mind: Sexy. No idea....but they look so exotic and sexy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm...these look delicious! love the way you decorate them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I worked with you!!! They look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look mouthwatering. I love the icing dripping down the sides :P

    ReplyDelete