Sunday, August 29, 2010

Chilli Con Carne

I've posted a Chilli Con Carne once before but this one is quite different.  I don't mind trying new things so I decided to give Jamie Oliver's Ministry of Food Chilli a go.  Its really good!  And it's so much better for you because it's packed with veg and uses less mince than I use in my original chilli.  So these days I'm a "veggies in my chilli" kind of girl!  The only chnage I made is that I added a lot more spices because I really love a lot of flavour.  The below recipe is what I did...

2 medium onions
2 cloves garlic
2 medium carrots
2 sticks celery
2 capsicums
Olive Oil
1 heaped teaspoon chilli powder
1 heaped teaspoon ground cumin
1 heaped teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 heaped teaspoons paprika
2 heaped teaspoons cajun spices
1 heaped teaspoon cayenne pepper
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 x 400g chick peas
1 x 400g tin 4 bean mix
2 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
500g good quality minceds beef
1 small bunch fresh coriander
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
400g basmati rice
1 x 500g tub sour cream

Peel and finely chop the onions, garlic, carrots and celery. Halve the capsicums, remove the stalks and seeds and roughly chop.  Place your largest casserole type pan on a medium high heat.  Add two lugs of olive oil and all your chopped vegetables. Add all the spices with a good pinch of salt and pepper.   Stir every thirty seconds for around 7 minutes until softened and lightly coloured.  Add the drained chick peas, four bean mix and the tinned tomatoes.  Add the minced beef, breaking up any larger chunks with a fork.  Fill one of the empty tomato tins with water and pour into the pan.  Pick the coriander leaves and place them in the fridge. Finely chop the stalks and stir in.  Add the balsamic vinegar and season with salt and pepper.  Bring to the boil and turn the heat down to a simmer with a lid slightly askew for an hour, stiring now and then to stop it catching.

This is fantastic served with fluffy rice.  Just divide the rice into big bowls, serve the chilli on top, add some sour cream on top and sprinkle with coriander leaves.

E.

2 comments:

  1. Yummy. This may just become my go-to school night dinner, now that fall is starting up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this chilli looks so tasty with all the spices in it...yummie!

    ReplyDelete