Sunday, May 2, 2010

Creamy Pea, Mint & Leek Soup


















I am a fan of pea soup but I never had any idea how many flavoursome ingredients actually go into it!  I was doing the usual Sunday morning trawl through my cook books to find something special to cook for dinner tonight (we had already decided on soup) and I came across this Valli Little recipe from her cookbook Faking It.   It tastes so divine.  Very creamy and so much flavour.  What with mint, leek, celery, peas and cream how can you go wrong?  I love it, and it doesn't take long to cook at all and is extra delicious with my home made croutons and some extra crusty bread and butter on the side.   Perfect Sunday night comfort food.

Jared described this dish as "spot on" and "restaurant quality".  It doesn't get much better than that!!

1 tbs Olive oil
20g unsalted butter
1 onion, chopped
2 celery sticks, chopped
1 leek (pale part only), thinly sliced
1 potato, peeled & chopped
1 bouquet garni
2 cups chicken stock
1 cups frozen peas (not baby)
1/2 cup pure (thin) cream
1/2 cup mint leaves, chopped
S&P
Snow pea sprouts to garnish

Heat oil and butter in a pan over medium heat.  Add onion, celery and leek and cook, stirring for 5 minutes or until vegetables are soft but not browned.  Add potato, bouquet garni & stock and simmer for 10 minutes until potato is soft.  Add peas, cream and mint and simmer for a further 3 minutes, then remove 2-3 tablespoons peas with a slotted spoon and set aside.

Puree using a stick blender (or puree in batches in a blender) until smooth.  return the reserved peas to the pan and reheat soup gently over low heat.  Serve soup in bowls with croutons and garnish with snow pea sprouts.

21 comments:

  1. Pea soup is delicious. You should try and put a pinch of curry powder in it. Its amazing. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks marvelous! The colors! And what a great idea to top it with some crunchy croutons. I love every flavor...mint is so perfect with peas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful soup. Love the use of mint with the leeks and peas. Your blog looks great, I know I am going to enjoy reading this daily. Thank you for the kind words on my blog. You have a new follower. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unlike you I've always been against pea soup. I think I just never had a decent tasting one, and I think your recipe might change my mind. Thanks for the tip on the cook book, sounds like a good one:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how vibrant this soup looks. I'd love some with a little bacon, please!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice photos! I like green peas a lot but i've never eaten them in any other form besides the spherical shaped ones. Could you tell me what herbs do you have inside the bouquet garni? thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This would be a great summer soup!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm. It's a gray, rainy day here so this sounds wonderful right about now :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Elizabeth, now this is my kind of food-sounds healthful and scrumptious! I like that...
    I've been meaning to make a pea soup, so I will refer to this when I do-this is perfect for the weather we're having here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These flavors sound wonderful together!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. sounds perfect on a cold autumn night!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for your comment on my blog. I'm very impressed with yours :-}} (I am following now)

    The soup looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I recently had a really good pea soup that had the tiniest hint of lime. It was really tasty.
    Love the beautiful green colour of the soup.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  14. A lovely soup! I like the addition of mint, so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super soup! :D

    Looks like you got the texture just right.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have tried a number of pea recipes at home but have always been dissapointed... but how can I go wrong if it's described as "restaurant quality"... So perfect for winter!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mm the color of this soup looks so beautiful. I would love to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. this looks absolutely fabulous! you guys have a great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sorry Sweeter Side of Life, I forgot to say that my bouquet garni had bay leaves, thyme and parsley.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That bowl of soup, accented by the red garnish looks divine. And I love peas too...though not hot on leeks but still....could eat it!

    ReplyDelete