Saturday, May 8, 2010

Jamie's Ministry Of Food Lasagne

















It's Mothers Day in Adelaide tomorrow so Jared and I invited his Gran and Pop around for lunch.  I decided on lasagne as the dish.  I have cooked my favourite lasagne recipe for years; (here is the recipe) but I had heard great things about this Jamie Oliver version and I was keen to try something new.

Jared and I hit the town last night and crawled into bed in the wee small hours.  I lost my mobile phone while having shooters of Jam Donuts! Thankfully the bar text my dad today to let him know they have my phone.  Phew!  Isn't it so funny how we never learn that the next day will be pure torture!?  We just wouldn't stop, put the drink down and GO TO BED!  So needless to say this morning we were very rough.  At 10am our realestate agent came over to value the unit so we can put it on the market next week so there was a lot of last minute running around and tidying up before he walked in.  By the time he left and I got the lasagne on - I was very pressed for time. The guests arrived before I had even assembled the lasagne.  But it was all fine. Gran and Pop happily and patiently waited for it to cook.

The end result was great.  And the fact that I didn't have to make a bechamel sauce made my day!  Dolloping and spreading creme fraiche was so easy.  And I loved the flavour it produced in the end.  It really helped cut through the richness of the lasagne. I loved it even more, hours later, when I crawled up on the couch in front of Sex and the City with my uggies on and had another piece.

Happy Mothers Day Mum & Nana  xx





6 slices of pancetta, sliced into strips
2 medium onions
2 cloves of garlic
3 carrots
3 sticks of celery
Olive Oil
2 heaped teaspoons dried oregano
400g good quality minced beef,
300g good quality pork mince,
2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
a small bunch of fresh basil
50g Parmesan cheese
250g fresh lasagne sheets
1 x 500ml tub of creme fraiche
100g Parmesan cheese
1 large ripe tomato

Finely slice your pancetta.
Peel & finely chop the onions, garlic, carrots and celery - don't worry about technique; just chop away.
Place a large casserole-type pan on a medium to high heat, add 2 lugs of olive oil, your sliced bacon and the oregano and cook and stir until the bacon is lightly golden.

Add the veg to the pan and stir every 30 seconds for around 7 minutes or until softened and lightly coloured.
Stir in the minced meat and the tinned tomatoes. Fill half of the empty tins with water and add to the pan Stir in a good pinch of salt and pepper.


Pick the basil leaves and place in the fridge for later. Finely chop the basil stalks and stir into the pan.
Bring to the boil, then turn the heat down and simmer with a lid on for 45 minutes, stirring every now and again to stop it catching.

Preheat the oven to 190C. Remove the Bolognese sauce from the heat. Finely grate the Parmesan and stir a quarter of this into the sauce.


Tear and stir in any larger basil leaves, keeping the smaller ones aside for later. Have a taste of the sauce, and season with a little more salt and pepper if you think it needs it.

Spoon a third of your Bolognese sauce into the bottom of an earthenware ovenproof dish. Follow with a layer of lasagne sheets. Dollop over a third of your creme fraiche and smooth it out to cover the lasagne sheets. Sprinkle with a good pinch of salt and pepper and another quarter of your grated Parmesan. Add another layer of lasagne, and repeat the layers twice more, finishing with a layer of creme fraiche and the remaining Parmesan.


Top with some slices of tomato, scatter over the small basil leaves and drizzle with olive oil.
Please in the oven for 35 minutes until the lasagne is bubbling and golden.
Serve on the table with a fresh green salad and let everyone help themselves.

E.

11 comments:

  1. I love the idea of using creme fraiche instead of making a bechamel!! It removes one time consuming step.
    Can't wait to try it, Elizabeth. I do love Jamie, don't you?

    BTW: Yes, hot sauce does refer to Tabasco.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm. Creme fraiche in lasagne sounds amazing. And I'm crazy about Jamie Oliver, so I'm sure it was completely delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try making a cauliflower puree instead of a bechamel. Works everytime. Sounds like you had a great night out.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember when we had our old house up for sale, we would fill the car up with all the "mess" and then park down the road!!!!!

    Lasagne looks great, you have my admiration cooking through a hang over - never can manage that!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Jamie Oliver's recipes but have not tried his lasagne recipe. I'll be sure to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm...love this lasagne. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never made lasagne before, but this looks delicious! The creme fraiche idea is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking lasagna. I love it. I really like the idea that you used creme frachie, that is delightful. I gotta try this lasagna too.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for visiting my site!!This lasagna looks delicious. I love using creme fraiche!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful dish. I'll take the slice with the tomato please.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This lasagna looks delicious. Great post!

    ReplyDelete