Monday, April 26, 2010

Easy Carrot Cakes & Sausage Rolls

















Jared has been working on a huge project at work for three years.  Project Harry.   Our business is getting in a new computer program and Jared has worked as the consultant who has told the computer designers what we need the program to do and then test it to make sure they've done the right thing.  It has been full on!  So many hours, so many disasters, many stressful sleepless nights; plus so much discipline and dedication has been required from Jared - but he has handled it so gracefully. I am so proud of him.  As far as I am concerned, he is Superman!  So tomorrow is "Go Live".  The new program is turned on for the 400 staff and we jump in at the deep end. 

Today is a public holiday in Adelaide but Jared and his team are working all day and into the night to test the system.  It's such beautiful morning right now - I know he'd give anything to be on the golf course.  So yesterday I baked a big batch of carrot cake cup cakes to send in to work to keep everyones spirits up while they work on a public holiday.  I was a little concerned at how these cakes would taste as they require 2/3 cup of olive oil.  My parents have their own Olive Oil company and the oil is phenomenal but I thought perhaps not the best flavoured oil for baking sweets.  It has a real grassy after taste and when I tasted the batter all I could taste was grass!  But after being cooked there was no trace of grassiness.  Just fluffy carrot and walnut.  I'm very pleased with the flavour -although I broke nana's number one rule - don't open the oven door when baking because everything will deflate.  And deflate they did.  The oven has no light!!! I needed to see how they were going.  So that was disappointing but the creamy icing certainly made up for it!

I also made sausage rolls.  Loads of them!!! Normally I do a really fancy method with all sorts of gourmet sauces and spices.  This time I did stock standard sausage rolls and I actually think they are the best I've ever done. 

Carrot Cakes
125 g self-raising flour

3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
2/3 cup Olive Oil
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups finely grated carrot
60 g roughly chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 180.  Roughly chop the walnuts.Grate the carrots in a whizzer.
In a bowl, add the flour, sugar and the spices. Add the oil and the eggs and then beat them up with an electric mixer for about 1 minute.Now stir in carrot and walnuts.  Pour into approx 20 patty pans. Bake until golden brown, approx 20 minutes. Let them cool.

Icing
Mix about 120g of Philadelphia cream cheese, with 60g melted butter and 250g icing sugar.
Spread over the cakes.




Sausage Rolls


1 teaspoon Olive Oil
1 onion, finely chopped
500g sausage mince
1 cup breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons tomato sauce
1 egg, lightly beaten
S&P
1 teaspoon chicken salt
1 teaspoon tabasco
5 sheets frozen, ready rolled puff pastry, thawed
egg to glaze
sesame seeds


Preheat oven to 200 degrees celcious.  Lightly grease a baking tray.  Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the onion over low heat until soft and transparent.  Transfer to a bowl and mix with teh mince, breadcrumbs, tomato sauce and egg.

Lay the pastry sheets on a lightly floured board and cut each sheet into two strips.  Divide the filling into equal portions and spoon across the long edge of the pastry.  Roll up to make a long sausage shape.  Brush lightly with the egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds.  Cut the rolls into 4cm lengths and place on the tray, seam side down. 

Bake for 20 minutes, or until rolls are golden.  Serve with tomato sauce.

NOTE:  Sausage rolls can be frozen for up to 2 weeks after baking.  Thaw and reheat in a preheated moderate oven 180 degrees celcious for 30 minutes.

E.

20 comments:

  1. those both sound absolutely divine - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth

    I am going to try out your carrot cakes with olive oil! They are just the right size! I also think your little sausage rolls are so cute! Perfect as an appetizer.
    I was so glad when you mentioned your partner loves the Russian Dostoevsky. I was afraid people would tune this introduction out as it would be boring to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love carrot cake, yours look so good! and so do the sausage rolls, nice recipes!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! Appreciated the nice comment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your carrot cakes and your sausage rolls look delightful. The best part is that you can make batches and freeze them for later use.

    Love both these dishes. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These carrot cakes are delicious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww thanks Natasha! I'm glad you enjoyed them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both creations look delicious!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both look sensational! I love the sausage rolls slightly more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Guys, beautiful photos! I might make the second recipe this week-very appealing.

    I don't eat pork or beef really, but recently I came across a vegetarian sausage that I spit out in a restaurant from thinking they accidentally served me real pork delicious. Nope, it was vegan. Now i can do lovely things like this-saving this to my files.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello :)

    Thanks for leaving your comments at my blog. The sausage rolls looked really nice!! i'll try them out, they seem easier to make than bread :D

    Carrot cakes are my favourite, especially the cream cheese frosting! That's the best part of it isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Homemade sausage rolls! I need to try and make these.. I foresee a healthy version with chicken sausage maybe... hmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What gorgeous golden sausage rolls - what a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmmm. I don't know which one I would go for first :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. The sausage rolls look so savory! I love the bite size carrot cakes as they are too easy to pop in your mouth. Both recipes sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Both your mini carrot cakes and sausage rolls sound fabulous. Thanks for the visit and I'm happy to meet you and your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Both look like winners. Carrot cake is a real pleaser especially in your presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Both the cakes and the sausage rolls look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are absolutely gorgeous. Great photos and the recipe looks yummy.
    ;)
    Thank you!
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love both carrot cakes and sausage rolls... most especially if it's easy to make. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete