Saturday, March 20, 2010

White Chocolate Fairy Cakes



There's a chick at work called Carly who is a PA in Jared's department.  Carly requested something made with white chocolate as she had missed out on all the treats I'd sent Jared to work with as she cannot eat normal chocolate.  I was more than happy to oblige.  I've never been a fan of white chocolate - I find it way too rich or sweet or something that I can't quite put my finger on.  But I did really enjoy these cupcakes. 

I hand delivered four of them in a little box to my personal food critic Richard's workplace.  Two security guards at the front desk took them and made the obvious jokes about how they were going to eat them and that Richard would be lucky to see them but THEY DID EAT THEM!!!  At least we think so.  Richard has done a lot of investigating and these two security guards (who are actual COPS by the way) originally said that "someone" had collected them on Richard's behalf but they couldnt remember who.  But Richard kept pressing them and their story changed to "someone stole them from the reception counter while we weren't looking".  Unbelievable.  Poor Richard missed out and I didnt get my review.

The actual recipe asks for fairy floss neatly piled on top of each cake.  All video stores, supermarkets and party shops had sold out of fairy floss last Saturday so I opted for the pink sprinkles instead!  They were great.

180g butter, at room temperature
155g (3/4 cup) caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 eggs
225g (1 1/2 cups) plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
95g (1/2 cup) white choc bits
Bought pink fairy floss, to decorate

Frosting
240g white chocolate, coarsely chopped
125ml (1/2 cup) thickened cream
60g butter

Preheat oven to 160°C. Line twelve 80ml (1/3-cup) capacity muffin pans with paper cases.

Use an electric beater to beat the butter, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl until pale and creamy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition until just combined.

Sift in the flour and baking powder over the mixture. Add the choc bits and gently fold to combine. Divide among the lined muffin pans and smooth the surface. Bake in oven for 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centres comes out clean. Turn onto a wire rack and set aside to cool completely.

Meanwhile, to make the frosting, place the chocolate, cream and butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat and stir with a metal spoon until the chocolate melts and the mixture is smooth. Transfer to a bowl. Place in the fridge for 1 hour to chill. Use an electric beater to beat the chocolate mixture until pale and creamy.

Spread frosting over the cupcakes and decorate with fairy floss.


E.

12 comments:

  1. These are like heaven made! Beautiful bake. Have a nice weekend!
    Cheers, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds delicious - I made white chocolate ganache for the first time this year and loved it - the idea of fairy floss on top sounds like a great idea - and as for those security guards - I'd be watching them like a hawke!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, it never cross my mind in the entire world that there will ever exist anyone who can't eat normal chocolate, except white chocolate until I found that a friend of mind was that person. Imagine my huge shock...haha. She would love this one. Looks very delicious. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are cute! I'm not always in love with white chocolate either--sometimes I find it too sweet with too little flavor-but I would love to try one of these. CUte sprinkles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not normally a white chocolate lover myself, either, but I imagine the addition of cream and butter would smooth out the sweetness of the white chocolate in the frosting. These do look so good. I love the security guard "COP" story - oh the irony!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How pretty! I can't believe the security guards ate them?! What is fairy floss?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm still in shock too! Fairy Floss is cotton candy. Spun Sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute blog you have! I love the fairy cakes, they sound so light and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, you definitely still in a shock cause I have an award for you dear. Please feel free to stop by my blog to collect it. Thanks!
    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow that looks absolutely divine! who doesn't love fairy cakes?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Omg...the guards probably thought that was an invitation to have them. LOL. I had to check what fairy floss was...always something new to learn.

    I love white chocolate as much as I love dark and milk -- I'm an equal opportunity chocolate lover. :) I'm on a white choco kick and made a cream cheese white chocolate frosting for carrot cupcakes. So yum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw these looks delightful! I agree; white chocolate is either too rich or too sweet!

    ReplyDelete