Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Slow Cooked Tandoori Chicken




I wasn't even sure what meal I was creating when I marinated some chicken thighs in Tandoori paste and yoghurt. Every other time I've made Tandoori Chicken I've cooked it on a baking tray in the oven and although I would enjoy the tandoori flavour, the meat always dried out. So then it occured to me to use the slow cooker!! Everything that goes in the slow cooker always turns out juicy and luscious and as an added bonus, dinner is ready when I walk in the door after work - which was great tonight as there were a few sore heads at our place after the ACDC concert last night!

So as I walked home from work today I was thinking about what I could serve the chicken with and I decided to make a raita and serve it with pita bread. The rice was a last minute addition by Jared who was craving carbs - we don't usually eat any rice, bread or pasta, so I thought we'd have a treat and I made some.

The great thing about this dish is that the chicken cooks all day and becomes so juicy and tender, it just shreds as you put your fork into it, and the raita can be made the night before. This means that if you are having guests over after work then this meal is a great idea because the rice is all that you really need to cook, and heat up the pita. I think this may become one of our favourites... Tandoori chicken in the slow cooker is definitely a winner!  I also throw a cube of chicken stock in with the cooking rice and sprinkle fresh coriander over the chicken.  I heated the pita bread in the oven for about 5 minutes.

This dish is most satisfying because you pile the rice, chicken, raita and coriander onto a piece of warm pita and devour it like a taco!  So divine!

Chicken
800g chicken thighs, diced
1 jar Pataks Tandoori Paste
3 tablespoons greek yoghurt

Marinate the chicken for as long as you can (I marinated overnight) and then place in a slow cooker in the morning. When you arrive home from work the house will be filled with the aroma of indian...

Raita
1 cucumber, peeled, halved lengthways, seeds removed, diced
1 tomato, seeds removed, chopped
1 small red chili, seeds removed, finely chopped
1 tbs chopped fresh coriander
1 tbs chopped fresh mint
215ml natural yoghurt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Pinch of paprika

To make the raita,  place all of the ingredients in a bowl and mixing until well combined. Set raita aside until required.



E.

12 comments:

  1. love anything that is slow cooked--it brings out so much flavor and tender. You guys are cooking some great stuff, keep it up and thanks for visiting our blog! The halloumi can be a bit briny so make sure you use lemon/lime to cut that down--let us know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks absolutely excellent. Tandoori chicken has a tendancy to get really dried out, but this looks succulent. YUM!
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this looks and sounds incredible. The raita looks like the perfect compliment as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds scrumptious! If it was great cooked in the crock pot I'll give it a try! I'm always trying to find things that make busy week nights easier. Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummmm....! I've never cooked tandoori chicken before- the closest I've ever gotten is buying the already marinated stuff from the supermarket. This sounds really good and easy too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea to put it in the slow cooker! It looks so yummy & moist!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made this last night for some friends and it was delicious! I nearly destroyed the Raita by accidentally adding all ingredients into the thermomix - I forgot to fold the yogurt in separately - it was as runny as milk! I managed to save it by adding in more yogurt and it still tasted great. My friends were so impressed with my cooking skills (if only they knew how easy it was!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I need help. Single guy and all.

    I've marinated the chicken, but how does one cook it in the slow cooker? I've only ever cooked chicken with some sort of stock I've made and covered the whole lot up. Is this done the same way? If so, what stock would I use, or is it a watered down marinade stock?

    I've googled this and can't find many answers, so I'm stuck. Common sense is not prevailing.

    Thanks
    J.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No liquid required Joe. Just place the marinayted chicken in as it is. Lid on and off you go...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for replying so fast.

    I didn't mention that I've got chicken fillet breasts, not thighs with bones etc..I know it makes a difference.

    Still no liquid?

    Also I read last night somewhere about the marinade goes off real quick, so shouldn't be used twice or something.
    Should I make up some fresh to cook in, and discard what it's been marinating in?

    Your words of wisdom needed again please.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. I keep my jars in the fridge for ages and they're fine.  And whatever u marinate the chivken in, cook it in that. Keep it all together.

    Chucked breasts are never ideal in the slow cooker as they dry out. I'd chop them into small pieces and cook them in the oven for a shorter time. 

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made the chicken last night, overnight, 8 hours. Came out fantastic. I'd forgotten how good chicken tasted in the slow cooker.

    Went straight out and bought some more. Got to get back into the habit.

    Thanks for your help

    ReplyDelete