Monday, March 8, 2010

Simple Paella


It's a long weekend in Adelaide and the weather is fairly miserable.  As sad as it is to see summer go, I'm quite welcoming of a bit of cold and wet and getting my trackies back on; I'm even tempted to pull out the ugg boots...   I was so excited about this long weekend because we made no plans.  The entire weekend was all ours to do with as we please - and for me that meant spending some time in our kitchen - which has exactly 15 days left until it gets replaced completely.  I am so excited!!

So on Sunday while Jared played golf I pulled out all my cookbooks and started searching for something to cook for dinner.  Absolutely nothing was jumping out at me except risotto, and even that wasn't inspiring me too much.  After searching for risotto recipes I found a paella recipe that I thought seemed really yummy.  It's a bit of a faux paella recipe. I don't have the special pan or the special rice, and I don't eat prawns so I ommited them too... 

I found this recipe on an Australian cooking website called  Taste.  I love this website because it is so easy to use and I generally find what I'm looking for. Plus, many people write reviews of the recipes which really helps when you decide to make it too.  For example, for this paella recipe one reviewer said to use medium grain rice as it absorbs the flavour better than long grain, another said to use more stock, another suggested saffron and chilli is a great addition.  I took on all of this advice and my paella was perfect. I even got the crust on the bottom!  Jared said it's the best Paella he's had outside of Spain.  Isn't he a sweety!?  I assume he hasn't ever eaten Paella except when in Spain but I will definitely be making this again.  The whole meal took about 45 minutes to prepare, cook and have it on the table!  And the colours were magnificent.  I was very impressed!

also,  HAPPY BIRTHDAY MUM!!!  xx

250g chorizo sausage, sliced
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
500g chicken thigh fillets, trimmed, cut into 5cm pieces
1 large brown onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 red capsicum, finely diced
2 teaspoon turmeric
3 teaspoons ground cumin
1 pinch saffron
3 small hot red chillis
1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
400g can chopped Italian tomatoes
3 cups chicken stock
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, roughly chopped

Heat a large heavy-based frying pan over medium-high heat. Add sausage. Cook for 4 minutes, turning, or until browned. Remove to a plate.

Reduce heat to medium. Add oil and chicken to frying pan. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes each side or until golden. Add onion, garlic, chilli and capsicum. Cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes or until soft.

Add turmeric, cumin, rice, saffron, and tomatoes and stock to frying pan. Stir until well combined. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until rice is tender.

Remove lid. Stir through peas and sausage. Cook for a further 1 to 2 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve.











E.

6 comments:

  1. Your paella dish looks delicious! The seasonings are just right. I usually have shrimp around so could easily add that to make it more officially a paella!
    And Happy Birthday to your mother, Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we're living opposite, but parallel lives. This was a wonderfully unbooked weekend of us as well, but it was also the first weekend of spring-like weather after the snowiest winter ever. I think paella would work equally well for both weekends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love paella! And this looks so doable! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have only tried paella once before using a Masterchef recipe and it was so fiddly and a total disaster - the dog ate most of it after my family sympathetically picked out the chorizo and chicken from a crunchy, tasteless failure. I tried this recipe tonight and am very excited to report that it was a complete success - I even got a crust too! I couldn’t believe it. It looked great, was full of flavour and was so easy! I will definitely be making this one again. The dog missed out tonight - great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to try this recipe Liz. I love all the individual components of paella..however I've never eaten one with any 'WoW' factor. I've always felt like I should love it. I've only eaten paella in Spanish restaurants and from Paella Pan stands at street festivals. I've been wondering if everyone's recipes are wrong? Even if paella does have yummy Chorizo.. it can still turn into a disaster (as you pointed out with the Masterchef recipe). Your photo does the dish justice.. and it sounds like you're recommending the recipe with the added 'tweaks'. I'm going to have to bookmark this :)

    Oh btw, thanks so much for leaving a comment at my blog - a lovely surprise! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I only recently have tried Paella and loved it! This recipe sounds so yummy! And that picture is making me DROOL ;)
    Xoxo,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete