Sunday, March 28, 2010

Osso Bucco Pasta


I have actually posted this dish before a few years ago when my blogging days first began - but I have removed the original post and I'm posting it again because the way I cook it has changed, and I got a much better photograph this time.  The original recipe involved a lot of fiddly work and separating the meat and the sauce and adding a teaspoon of sauce for every 100g of meat in the oven... blah blah...  wank wank!  I've cooked this meal about 5 times now and my confidence has grown and I feel very comfortable just throwing it all in one pot and cooking it for 3 hours. 

The thing I love the most about this meal is that it is a very rich dish, but by adding the lemon and parsley at the end it gives it a bit of a zing which stops the richness taking over and it becomes quite zesty - which means you eat several serves because you don't get overpowered by the rich flavour. I also love the fact that it is served with pasta.  It could easily be a dish on its own but the pasta gives it that extra bit of comfort.

I've decided to enter this dish at Pasta Presto Nights because I think its a worthy candidate.  Ruth has some fantastic, delicious entries each month and I'd like to see how this pasta fares!

This was the last ever dish I cooked in our OLD kitchen!  Thats right - the NEW kitchen is in.  And it is beautiful.  The tiles still need to go up so I won't post any photos yet.  The new kitchen has so much more benchspace and the cupboards are so much deeper.  I haven't stopped cooking in it.  And my brand new fan foced oven and cook top is my pride and joy. 

5 cloves garlic, sliced
1/2 bunch oregano leaves, chopped
2 bay leaves, chopped
sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
4 veal osso buco
3 tablespoons Olive Oil
100g pancetta, cut into strips
1 large onion, chopped finely
2 celery stalks, finely sliced
1 carrot, finely sliced in rounds
2 pinches saffron threads
2 tbsp tomato paste
3 sprigs thyme
200 ml white wine
700ml good-quality beef stock
500g large shell pasta
2 handfuls flat-leaf parsley leaves
1 lemon, finely zested and juiced
80g butter
70g grated parmesan to serve



Place garlic, oregano, bay leaves and a little salt in a mortar and pestle and crush to a paste.
I would suggest cutting 4 slits in the "corners" of the osso bucco to stop it curling.
Rub paste over veal pieces.

Heat olive oil in a large heavy-based pan over medium heat.
Cook pancetta for 6 minutes.
Move the panchetta to the side and add veal and cook without stirring for 2 minutes, then turn veal until evenly browned.

Season.

Remove veal from pan and set aside.

Add onions, celery and carrot topan and stir. Add saffron and cook for 5 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Add the stock.  Return veal to pan, turning over a few times, then stir in tomato paste and boil for 3 minutes.  Place the veal back in the pot and cook in the oven at 170 degrees for at least 3 hours.

Once the osso bucco in the oven has begun to fall off the bone and shred, return it to the top of the oven to reduce the liquid.

Meanwhile, cook pasta in lightly salted boiling water until al dente. Remove veal from pan and add pasta, parsley, lemon zest and juice and butter. Season, then return veal to pan.Serve with a sprinkle of parmesan on top.

E.

21 comments:

  1. yummmmmm that looks absolutely delicious - I'd never thought of using osso bucco as a pasta sauce before - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elizabeth and Jared, I love Osso bucco, so I know I would like this. Looks so rich and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is gorgeous. I would eat a huge bowl of this right now...is that wrong?! The lemon zest is brilliant--great way to brighten up a rich slow-cooked dish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore osso bucco, so I bet it would be great in pasta form. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy yummy comfort food. This looks fantastic. I'm jealous of a kitchen with lots of counter space!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That pasta dish looks mighty good and flavorful! Nice shape of pasta.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for coming by our blog:) I hope we will be seeing you again;)
    http://thepepperedpantry.blogspot.com/
    I'm adding myself to follow you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you very much for your kind comment :) This looks like the perfect food for the cold, rainy spring we're having here...I hope it gets nicer, but if not, I can just curl up on my sofa with a big bowl of this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooo ahhhh! Sounds perfectly delicious! Have a great weekend and thanks for stopping by :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Osso bucco is a huge favorite around here; I usually add the gremolata during the cooking but I would like to try your version too. Love it with pasta as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous dish, thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights and lucky you...I'm green with envy over your new kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks delicious! So hearty. Total comfort food. My dad loves osso bucco but I bet he would love it even MORE in pasta!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the pasta....and laughing at your rewrite of earlier recipes....I know the feeling too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This dish must be insanely good! I love a good heart osso bucco but with pasta it must make this completely addictive. I will be trying this one very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks wonderful! I love osso bucco, but hadn't made it in years, till last week. It was delicious, even though I stuffed it in a suet crust for the Daring Bakers. It won't be so long till I make it again (without the suet crust)!

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is a bit confusing recipe, you say "Once the osso bucco in the oven has begun to fall off the bone and shred, return it to the top of the oven to reduce the liquid" is this he whole pot or just the veal?
    - Remove veal from pan and add pasta, parsley, lemon zest and juice and butter - is this add to the pot or on top o fthe pasta?

    ReplyDelete
  17. also where to put the white wine?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi. Add the wine when you add the tomato paste. And I meant to put the whole pot on top of the stove to cook down. And the parsley lemon mix gets sprinkled on top. Sorry it's not so clear. This recipe is divine! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The butter gets mixed through though. The parsley garlic and lemon zest gets sprinkled on top.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would actually use a tiny bit of juice as I've made the mistake of using too much and have ruined the dish.

    ReplyDelete