Thursday, March 11, 2010

Moderator's Slice


I have no idea why this slice is called Moderator's Slice. It came from my favourite baking cookbook The Blue Ribbon Cookbook which contains all of the Blue Ribbon winners around South Australia for various baking feats.  This recipe comes from Valmai Roeby from Quorn which is an amazing country town in the Flinders Ranges where I did a lot of my growing up as a kid; hence the reason I've been wanting to make this slice.  That, and the fact that it looked deeeeeelish!

By looking at the recipe I couldn't figure out what this slice would taste like, but now I can describe it perfectly.  It tastes like a chocolate crackle with gooey, thick caramel through the middle.  TO DIE FOR!  It was so good, and so naughty that I had to send most of it to work with Jared so he could give it away.  If it stayed in our fridge I was going to devour it and put on about 25kg. Jared gave a slice to my usual food critic Richard who emailed me this feedback:

OMG I've just started to eat it. You are going to kill Jared with this food. I'm guessing the last thing he will be doing before he dies is eating and feeling very happy about it. Having eaten it, it is indeed remarkable that it ever found its way to me.

I wasn't at work when Jared handed out the slice as I've been off studying, furthering my computer knowledge - when I went back to work today and wandered through Jared's floor I received several compliments on my fabulous slice.  I can see why this won the blue ribbon!

Base
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 cup icing sugar
1 cup desiccated coconut
4 cups cornflakes
250g copha, melted

Filling
200ml sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons golden syrup
60g butter
1 teaspoon vanilla essence

Grease and line a 19 x 29cm slice pan.

To make the base, combine the cocoa, icing sugar, coconut and cornflakes in a large bowl.  Pour over the melted copha and mix well.  Press half the mixture into the prepared pan and place in the refrigerator while you prepare the filling.

To make the filling, place the condensed milk, sugar, golden syrup, butter and vanilla essence in a saucepan and bring gently to the boil, stirring continuously.  Keep stirring the mixture while it simmers for 3 minutes.  Cool the filling and then pour over the base.  (I didn't cool mine, I just poured).

To finish the slice, top it with the remaining base mixtuire and put it in the refrigerator to set.  Cut the slice into squares when firm and store in the refrigerator.













E.

16 comments:

  1. It's got chocolate and condensed milk in the same recipe. SOLD!
    Copying now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look like glorified rice krispy treats! You had me with the sweet milk (I could eat that right out of the can with a spoon.) Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Looks yummy and I like this recipe..easy to follow ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a little piece of heaven! Thank you so much for finding your way to my blog. I love finding new blogs to read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow...that looks truly a heavenly treat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Superb reviews.....Pls don't kill Jared cause how then will he get the goodies into work, which get the rave reviews.....Alternatively, send all your good cooking to me....in a box. All wrapped up. Address and other details available on request

    ReplyDelete
  7. This totally melt in your mouth bite! Send me a dozen, will you?

    ReplyDelete
  8. These totally look worth the sugar coma! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, that DOES look like it could clog some arteries! Looks divine though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gosh, this looks just so addictive! Just killing me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks amazing - definitely food that is worth dying for - all my favourites except copha - still a bit suspicious of it but am sure it is worth it

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks so delicious sweet and gooey and crunchy and yum! I can see what you mean about needing to get it out of the house... :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. It contains condensed milk - I am sold!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great dish - and funny post! I have made stuff like this and just go into a panic trying to get it out of my house. But I love it, and so does my Mr. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Shouldn't this be called chocolate crack? It looks that addictive!. I have to try this but it calls for an ingredient that I don't know. What is copha?

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks like clear butter and you melt it and it binds things together. Here is a website with substitutes: http://www.practicallyedible.com/edible.nsf/pages/copha

    ReplyDelete