Sunday, February 14, 2010

Summer Tomato Pasta


This dish was one of the first savoury dishes I ever made.  (Garlic chicken was my actual first).  I would have made it at least three times a week for the first few months after I discovered it.   I would try to make it for every person that I knew because I wanted them to know how yummy it was, and in hindsight I now realise I had discovered my love for cooking - not just baking.  I remember, back in those early days, that I would follow the recipe to the letter. I've learned a lot since then and confidently cook using guestimations these days, especially with this dish.

So why is this dish so good?  Because it's easy, quick, refreshing and fantastic in summer because it isn't heavy at all.  I haven't met anyone yet who didn't like it.  The marrying up of all the different italian flavours creates this zingy, strong flavour that leaves you wanting more and more.  I made way too much tonight so our neighbours Leslie and Steve kindly took the leftovers off my hands.  It would have been such a shame to throw what was left in the bin.  And this isn't the type of dish you can have as leftovers as the tomatoes end up slushy.

6 ripe tomatoes, chopped
1 bunch of basil, finely chopped (I blitz mine)
1 large clove of garlic, finely chopped
Juice of one lemon
3 tablespoons Olive Oil
150g parmesan cheese, finely grated
salt & pepper
200g bacon, chopped into small cubes
1 packet wholemeal spaghetti

Mix the tomatoes, basil, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper together in a large bowl.   Put the pasta on to cook.  Fry the bacon until it is crispy.

Once the pasta is cooked, drain it and add the parmesan and the tomato mix.  Mix together well and serve in large pasta bowls.  Sprinkle the bacon over the top and add a little extra parmesan.  Serve.

E.

1 comment: