Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Chocolate Hazelnut Celebration Cake


Today is Jared's 35th Birthday!!  Happy Birthday honey!!  Unfortunately we both had to work, so I decided to bake a special cake for him to take to the office.  Jared and I work together but in different departments. I enjoy cooking for his area as they are all great people who give fantastic feedback - or maybe they'll just say anything to be fed??!!?

Anyway, I started flicking through my Donna Hay cookbook and came across this recipe.  It was the picture that sold me and that it looked like such a great birthday cake and everyone loves chocolate.  So I baked the cake on Monday night and put more love into it than I've ever put into anything I've baked (my nana taught me to have all ingredients at room temperature when baking) and I made sure I had the best quality for every ingredient.  I made the icing on Monday night as well as it has to cool down afterwards before you really work your magic.  So Tuesday night I came home and whipped the icing into the delectable, velvety treat that it turned out to be.

The cake was a hit.  I received nothing but great feedback.  About thirty people had a slice, including the CEO!  Eep!  Here is some of the feedback I received via email:

I was lucky enough to get a slice of Jared’s birthday cake – and must congratulate you on it’s total awesomeness! You are the best cake baker ever!!!!  It is really really good.  I told Jared he must marry you immediately as he is way lucky to have someone spoil him like you do! 

OH. MY. LORDY LORD. Best chocolate cake I’ve had in forever.

THANK YOU! 

I refuse to take credit for the above comments as the cake itself wasn't difficult to bake at all and the icing was relatively easy.  I think we have Donna Hay to thank for this one.  I apologise for the shitty photograph of a slice of cake taken at my desk with the crappy plastic spoon!  I was in a bit of a hurry and the lighting wasnt great - but you get the idea!

Happy Birthday Pinky.  I love you.  x

300g butter, chopped
3 cups brown sugar
4 eggs
1 cup hazelnut meal
1 cup milk
2 cups plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup cocoa powder
fresh berries to serve (I didnt do this)

Chocolate Icing
2 cups pouring cream
1 cup cocoa powder
800g good quality dark chocolate, chopped
300g butter

Preheat the oven to 160 degrees celcius.  Place the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until light and creamy.  Add the eggs and beat well.  Add the hazelnut meal and milk, sift over the flour, baking powder and cocoa and mix until combined.  Spoon the mixture into 2 x 20cm round greased adn lined cake tins and bake for 55 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.  Allow cakes to cool.


To make icing, place the cream and extra cocoa in a saucepan over low heat and stir until smooth.  Place the mixture in a bowl and refrigerate until cold.  Beat the icing with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.  Spread teh icing over eth tops of both cakes and place one cake on top of the other.  Ice all around the edges.  Keep cool until ready to serve.  Serve with berries.

E.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Elizabeth, I radomnly came across your blog post when searching Donna Hay's Celebration Cake - which is a difficult recipe to find online! Thanks for your advice, much appreciated and the result was a hit with my family for my dad's birthday :) You might want to revise the icing recipe you've provided as I had to wing some parts. Firstly, I only used around 300g of dark choc as 800g would've been way too much. My batch turned out more than enough. Also I didn't require any butter for the icing(?) Food for thought ;)... Anyway, thank you and keep up the good work. Jasmine, Sydney

    ReplyDelete