Monday, February 8, 2010

Chilli Con Carne

The first time I cooked Chilli Con Carne was about 5 years ago.  It was a Jamie Oliver recipe and it involved blitzing the onions in a food processor; then blitzing sundried tomatoes and fresh chilli to make a paste; there were cinammon sticks, bay leaves and HP sauce.  There was even a ritual of placing greaseproof paper over the top for an hour or so.    I admit that this Jamie Oliver recipe is OH SO GOOD but it involves such a lot of work that it isnt something I'd cook on a Monday night after work.  And because of that fact, I thought my days of eating home made chilli were all but over....     Until I met Jared!

Jared made this for me within the first week that we were dating and it blew me away!  Especially the fact that he roasted his own capsicums and stuffed them with the chilli!  That totally takes away the naughty corn chip side of chilli con carne which I was always a sucker for! The capsicum smells amazing and sweet as it turns black and bubbles. Jared also used to put a three bean mix in about 5 minutes before serving.  I've never done this as I don't see the benefit.  I don't dislike it but I don't think the dish gets any better because of it.  Its up to you! It is so simple, so quick, so cheap and yet so very very tasty and rich and moreish.  He taught me how to make it straight away so now he lays on the couch while I make it - but that's ok because it is really so easy.  Plus Jared and I are always looking for healthy, low fat, low carb meals to eat during the week and needless to say, we eat this A LOT!

There are some photos below of our shitty oven and I am so very pleased to say that its days are numbered!  Four hours ago a Kitchen Man came to our place to measure us up for a whole new kitchen and oven!!!  The oven we currently use still measures in farenheit! And it's this retro blue glass which is smashed and you can see all the cords behind it!  Our kitchen is quite embarassing - but I still love to cook in it. I guess you get used to what you have and learn how to make it work.  Unfortunately I wont get to use the new kitchen for long as we'll be putting this place on the market straight away so we can buy a new house.  It is so much fun looking for a house.  I always go straight to the photos of the kitchen, then I check out the decking/backyard/pool area where we'll be doing most of our eating and entertaining.  Oh the excitement! 

But anyways - please please do yourself a favour and try cooking this chilli.  I guarentee you won't be disappointed!


1 tablespoon Olive Oil
1 onion chopped
800g premium mince
3 tablespoons paprika
3 tablespoons cajun spice
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons dry chilli
1/2 teaspoon tabasco sauce
Salt & Pepper
3 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tins tomato
2 capsicums
low fat sour cream
coriander - chopped
Sweet paprika

Over medium heat fry the onion in olive oil in a deep fry pan.   When they are transparent, add the mince and brown.  Add the paprika, cajun spices, cayenne pepper, chilli and tabasco and stir.  Add the tomato sauce and paste and salt and pepper to your liking.  Simmer over medium heat for about an hour, if it begins to dry out cover it almost completely with a lid.

While the chilli is cooking cut the capsicums in half and remove all the seeds and the stem.  Roast on both sides under a grill until the outer skin bubbles and turns black.  Chop up the coriander.













Place the capsicum on the plate so it creates a bowl for the chilli.  Place the chilli in the middle.  Add a big dollop of sour cream on top.  Sprinkle with a little sweet paprika and coriander.  Serve.
E.

No comments:

Post a Comment