Sunday, January 17, 2010

Spaghetti Bolognese


I feel a bit silly posting about Spaghetti Bolognese because it is one of the easiest meals to cook.  But Jared taught me something about spag bog which has changed the way I prepare it and makes the end result so much more satisfying.  Jared blitz's the onion, carrot, celery and garlic in a food processor after sweating it off in a pan of olive oil.  For this recipe I've also added basil and a chilli.  The end result is that the bolognese sauce sticks to the spaghetti rather than slipping off as you raise it to your mouth.   We also use wholemeal spaghetti because of its nutty flavour and its just a tad more healthy.  But I do cover it in loads of kraft parmesan.  I'm a big fan of using real parmesan wherever possible but for spag bog - I believe it is sacreligious to not use Kraft Parmesan.

I cooked this for dinner tonight after an afternoon of house hunting.  Jared and I are selling his unit and buying a house in the Adelaide Hills.  It's very exciting!  So this bolognese didn't cook for the standard 3 to 4 hours that I would prefer, but still was absolutely yummy and really comforting on a tired Sunday evening.  And shouts out to Leslie my neighbour who just delivered me Triple Chocolate Chip icecream!  Thank you.

2 cloves garlic
1 onion
1 carrot
2 sticks celery
1 large red chilli
1 handfull basil
1 big glug of Olive Oil
600g beef mince
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tin's tomato
Bolognese Herbs
salt & pepper
Wholemeal spaghetti
Mountains of bogan parmesan

Sweat off the garlic, onion, carrot, celery, chilli and basil in a fry pan with some olive oil.  Then Blitz it in a food processor til it is fine.   Add the mince and stir until all browned.   Add the tomato paste and tinned tomatoes.  Add salt and pepper and bolognese herbs.  Stir and then simmer for as long as you can with the lid partially on, cover it if it is cooking down too much.

Cook your wholemeal spaghetti and then serve with mountains of bolognese sauce and parmesan on top.



E.

No comments:

Post a Comment