Saturday, January 2, 2010

Passionfruit Layer Cake
















I was coming on here to rant and rave about how much I hate recipes that lead you up the garden path and the end creation is nothing like the photo or as the recipe says it should be.  I've been cursing for 3 days about how my cake turned out nothing like the picture.  But just as I have logged on here to begin my bitch, I've had another read of the recipe and I've made the frosting completely incorrectly!!  I've used sour cream, passionfruit pulp and icing sugar!!  The recipe asks for cream cheese, sour cream and icing sugar!!  Where on earth did I get a cup of passionfruit pulp from and just neglected to add any cream cheese??  No wonder it was so runny and wouldn't stay on the cake!  The icing that I incorrectly made is thankfully really yummy so we didn't have to throw the cake away.  Jared and I have been living on about three slices a day since New Years Eve.
Hopefully by now you've worked out the cake in the picture above is not my cake!!

But having said that:

1. Although I forgot to add 250g of cream cheese, it still wouldn't have come close to covering this cake plus three layers through the centre - I strongly suggest doubling the icing mixture. Several reviews of the recipe at Taste suggested the same.

2. The syrup also creates far too little to be spread over three layers.  I would strongly suggest trippling it.

Overall though - this cake is actually really yummy and my own version of the icing is also really refreshing and not too sweet.  I'm not happy at all with how mine looks but clearly that was my fault by forgetting a very important ingredient which would have made all the difference. 

It has been really hot in Adelaide these past few days and I made the cake for New Years Eve which was 40 degrees Celcius.  I thought passionfruit would be more refreshing than chocolate, and it is really light and zingy and I will most definitely be making it again but will remember the cream cheese next time!  A picture of my cake is below.

Cake

Melted butter, to grease
250g butter, at room temperature
430g (2 cups) caster sugar
6 eggs
150g (1 cup) plain flour
75g (1/2 cup) self-raising flour
85g (1 cup) desiccated coconut
160ml (2/3 cup) coconut milk
Fresh coconut, shaved, to serve

Passionfruit syrup
125ml (1/2 cup) fresh passionfruit pulp
2 tbs caster sugar
1 tsp finely grated lemon rind

Frosting
1 x 250g pkt cream cheese, at room temperature
125g (1/2 cup) sour cream
80g (1/2 cup) icing sugar mixture

Method
Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush 2 round 20cm (base measurement) cake pans with melted butter to grease. Line bases and sides with non-stick baking paper.

Use an electric beater to beat together butter and sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, until combined. Stir in the combined flours and coconut. Stir in coconut milk. Spoon the mixture among the lined pans and smooth surfaces. Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted in centres comes out clean. Set aside for 30 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool.

Meanwhile, to make the syrup, combine passionfruit, sugar and lemon rind in a saucepan over high heat. Bring to the boil. Cook, stirring, for 3-5 minutes or until syrup thickens. Set aside to cool.

To make the frosting, use an electric beater to beat the cream cheese, sour cream and icing sugar mixture in a bowl.

Use a large serrated knife to remove the top of each cake. Use the knife to split each cake in half crossways. Place 1 layer of cake on a cake stand. Spread over one-sixth of the cream cheese mixture and spoon over one-third of the passionfruit syrup. Continue layering with the remaining cake layers, half the cream cheese mixture and the remaining syrup. Spread the remaining cream cheese mixture over the top and side of the cake. Arrange the coconut over the top and side of the cake and serve.




E.

No comments:

Post a Comment