Sunday, January 3, 2010

Lamb Tagine with Apricots and Pistachio



Once again I cooked and forgot a major ingredient!  This time it was chicken stock.  Thankfully I realised about 40 minutes before I was due to serve so I quickly got it in there.  I was hoping to cook a "Slow Cooked Lamb Chop Stew" that was in the June 2008 edition of Delicious. magazine but I've lost the magazine and no matter how hard I googled, it couldnt find it. (If you have that edition PUH-LEASE email me the recipe??) So as a substitute I cooked this for dinner. 

This dish has awesome flavour but I prefer tagines to have loads of veg.  This dish was only meat and a few apricots.  (I left out the raisons as I'm not a fan of them in cooking).  I also didn't feel like i was actually cooking anything.  All you have to do is mix some spices together and dump it in the oven.  There is no joy in that; so to compensate I made honey roasted carrots and moroccan zuchini.  (Slice two whole zuchini's lengthways, score in a criss cross manner across the length of the zuchinis, drizzle with olive oil, sea salt and moroccan spices and roast in the oven for an hour).

I found this meal to be really yummy but it didn't blow my mind.  Jared on the other hand said it was amazing.  He said that if he had cooked it himself he would think it was the best thing he'd ever made.  I'm very confused by this as he has cooked me many dishes that impressed me way more than this one.  Maybe I was just over it by the time I served it. 

2 teaspoons sweet paprika
2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon allspice
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
grated rind and juice of 2 lemons
1.2kg diced lamb
1 cup chicken stock
3/4 cup dried apricots
1/2 cup raisins
1 cup thick, Greek-style yoghurt
1/2 cup pistachio kernels, roughly chopped
couscous, to serve

Method
Combine spices and salt in a large bowl. Add oil, rind and half the juice and stir to form a paste. Add lamb and stir until well-coated in paste. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours if time permits.

Preheat oven to 180°C. Put lamb mixture into a casserole dish with a tight-fitting lid. Add stock and remaining lemon juice. Stir until well-combined.

Cover and cook for 1 hour. Stir in dried apricot and raisins. Cook, covered for a further 40 minutes or until lamb is tender. Serve immediately with a dollop of yoghurt, sprinkling of pistachio kernels and couscous on the side.


E.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely 'effort' even if it wasn't cooking sometimes a simple assembly dish is what is wanted. Love your veggies honey roasted carrots and moroccan zuchini they sound great, nice photo. Cheers from Audax.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI. Nice blog name and also you have a very good collection of recepies.Kabuli Chana is chickpea. try it out , u ll love it..

    ReplyDelete