Monday, November 23, 2009

Garam Masala Chicken

There are two parts to this post.  Firstly let me introduce you to our new cooking machine.  It's the Cookwell Convection Oven.  Jared's Gran and Pop gave it to us as an early Christmas present.  We've been meaning to use it for weeks and Sunday was the day.  I must admit that at first I was sceptical.  I have an oven. A crappy, old, slow oven that still measures in Farenheit, but a working oven none the less - so I didn't really see the point in pulling out this huge machine and all its gadgets.  Jared believes I'm scared of change.  Like an old person being sat in front of the internet for the first time, I've had the same reaction to the Cookwell Convection Oven.  And I think he was right because now that I've used it I think it is fantastic!  The meat cooked perfectly, was so moist and tender inside while crisp and crunchy on the outside.  Because it sits on the bench and has a really bright light - we could watch our food go from completley raw to mouth watering brown and crisp.  And it CLEANS ITSELF!!!!  I'm sold!

So the dish we decided to make was Garam Masala Chicken.  I saw it in Delicious Magazine and had been meaning to make it for about six weeks.   I found it so simple and really enjoyable to roast all the spices then reduce them to a fine powder with my mortar and pestle.  The raita was delicious and I'll definitely be making it my standard raita recipe from here on in.  Plus, it's quite a healthy dish.  At worst the naan bread isn't great for you carbswise and maybe the chicken skin - but I'm pretty happy with its "healthiness".



Garam Masala Chicken
Serves 6

16 cardamom pods, bruised, husks discarded, seeds reserved
2 bay leaves, broken into small pieces
2 tsp black peppercorns
4 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp coriander seeds
2 cinnamon quills
5 cloves
6 free range chicken marylands
45ml Warrick Grove Olive Oil
Warmed naan bread to serve

Raita
1 cucumber, peeled, halved lengthways, seeds removed, diced
1 tomato, seeds removed, chopped
1 small red chili, seeds removed, finely chopped
1 tbs chopped fresh coriander
1 tbs chopped fresh mint
215ml natural yoghurt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Pinch of paprika

Place the cardamom seeds, bay leaves, peppercorns, cumin, coriander, cinnamon and cloves in a non-stick fry pan. Dry roast over medium heat for about 2 mins until fragrant, then allow to cool.

Place all the roasted spices into a spice grinder or mortar and pestle and grind into a fine powder.  If using marylands, cut the chicken thighs and drumsticks away from each other.  Rub with the olive oil.

Coat the chicken pieces in the garam masala spice mix and marinate, covered, for 2-3 hours in the refrigerator.  Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Place the chicken on a rack set inside a roasting pan and roast for 45 minutes to one hour.





Meanwhile, make the raita by placing all of the ingredients and 1/2 a teaspoon freshly ground black pepper in a bowl and mixing until well combined.  Set raita aside until required.



Serve the chicken with warm naan bread and raita on the side.






E.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this is an AMAZING recipe! I was so inspired by your blog that I went out and bought one of these whiz bang cookers, and geez, am I stoked that I did! I cooked this Garam Masala last night for dinner and, hey presto, 10 mins later, dinner on the table!!! It was so delicious, it made me think of my time in Mumbai, very Indian. Slumdog millionare? Slumdog BRILLIANTare! Thanks couple's kitchen, another mouthwatering dish!

    ReplyDelete