Saturday, October 17, 2009

Maud's Ginger Apricot Crunch


This is another recipe from my new favourite cookbook The Blue Ribbon Cookbook by Liz Harfull. She kindly sent me a signed copy and I am now an avid follower of her blog The Blue Ribbon Cookbook

This slice was made by Gwen Smart of Maitland and is named after her mother Maud.  There wasn't a photo of the slice so I wasn't sure what to expect.  I absolutely loved the flavour but I wasn't too sure about the texture.  It was very biscuity and almost crunchy, but then would have the chewy texture of the chopped apricots.   I think next time I'd cut the apricots even finer.  But the ginger flavour was delicious.  Ginger Nut biscuits remind me of my nana and they are the best for dunking in a cup of tea.  (Next to Yo-Yo Biscuits).

125g butter
1/2 cup (125ml) sweetened condensed milk
1 tablespoon golden syrup
375g ginger nut biscuits, crushed finely
60g pecan nuts or walnuts, chopped finely
16 dried apricots, chopped finely

Grease a 24cm square pan with cooking spray and line with baking paper or alfoil.

Place the butter, condensed milk and golden syrup in a small saucepan and cook over a medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture is smooth.  Bring teh mixture to the boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for 3 or 4 minutes, until the mixture thickens slightly.

Place the biscuits, nuts and apricots in a bowl.  Pour over the condensed milk mixture and stir until well combined.  Place the mixture into the prepared pan. Refrigerate until set.  Cut into squares with a sharp knife.

E.

No comments:

Post a Comment