Monday, October 12, 2009

Broccoli & Cauliflower Bake



I don't like cauliflower at all.  It's probably my least favourite vegetable; but I had it in the fridge becuase I got it into my head that I was going to do some "3 day, lose 5kg diet".  The diet lasted all of about 12 hours and the cauliflower was still in the fridge waiting to be used.  The only way I've ever eaten cauliflower and half enjoyed it was in a bake, covered in cheese and crumbs and broccoli and anything else that can disguise its boring taste!  So I did just that - Broccoli and Cauliflower Bake.  And it was actually really yum.  I totally overcooked the veg, so I'll know for next time to chill out on boiling it for 10 minutes.  But I think cauliflower will become a regular visitor in our fridge!

4 cups broccoli florets
3 cups cauliflower florets
1 medium onion chopped
2 tablespoons butter
1 tin condensed cream of chicken soup
80g grated cheese
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon dry basil, thyme or marjoram, crushed
3/4 cup soft bread crumbs

In a large saucepan cook broccoli and cauliflower, covered, in a small amount of boiling lightly salted water for 6 to 8 minutes or until vegetables are almost crisp-tender.  Drain well.  Remove brocolli and cauliflower from pan, set aside.

In the same saucepan cook one onion in 1 tablespoon melted butter over medium heat until tender, stirring occasionally.  Stir in the soup, cheese, milk and herbs.  Cook and stir over medium-low heat until bubbly and cheese melts.  Stir in cooked broccoli and cauliflower.  Transfer mixture to a small casserole dish. Toss together the bread crumbs with 1 tablespoon melted butter.  Sprinkle over vegetable mixture.

Bake uncovered in a 180 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until heated through.

E.

No comments:

Post a Comment