Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Chocolate Maple Slice


I was up in Clare spending the weekend with my nana recently  (check out the view from the lounge room) and I decided to do some baking.  I've always been a fan of the chocolate caramel slice but I've never bothered to make it because you can buy it anywhere and one caramel slice tastes just like the next.  That is why I chose to make this Chocolate Caramel Slice because it has something different.  Maple Syrup and Scotch Finger Biscuits. 

They were pretty damn tasty.  My only point would be to make sure you don't eat them straight out of the fridge.  Let them get to room temperature before devouring them.  So much more flavour and so much more enjoyable.  I brought a whole batch home to give to the neighbours but I think Jared and I scoffed them all to ourselves over a few days.

Here's what I did:

2 x 250g packets Scotch Finger biscuits
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup brown sugar
250g butter, chopped
2 x 395g cans sweetened condensed milk
300g dark cooking chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup pouring cream

Method
Grease a 5cm-deep, 20cm x 30cm (base) roasting dish or slab pan. Line base and sides with baking paper, allowing a 2cm overhang at both long ends.

Place biscuits, in a single layer, in pan to cover base (break to fit, if necessary). Process remaining biscuits to fine crumbs.

Combine maple syrup, sugar, butter and condensed milk in a heavy-based, non-stick saucepan. Cook, stirring occasionally, over low heat for 5 to 10 minutes or until butter melts. Increase heat to medium. Cook, stirring, for 4 to 5 minutes or until mixture comes to the boil. Boil, stirring, for 6 to 8 minutes or until mixture thickens. Stir in crushed biscuits.

Pour mixture over biscuit base. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until just set.

Place chocolate and cream in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave, uncovered, on medium (50%) for 1 1/2 minutes or until almost melted. Stir until smooth. Spread chocolate mixture over chilled slice. Refrigerate until firm. Cut into fingers. Serve.

E.

No comments:

Post a Comment